Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Persuasion

Two  of the finest poems of the Victorian era start with the famous iamb "Come, Live with me and be my love". One of the poems is by Christopher Marlowe and is a poem that I have liked the most : http://www.poetry-online.org/marlowe_come_live_with_me.htm
Another one is a bit satirical composition by C.Day Lewis . The poem can be found here :
http://poetrycollector.wordpress.com/2008/07/16/come-live-with-me-and-be-my-love/

These two poems provided enough motivation to compose my very own version :)

 

                                      The Persuasion


Come, Live with me and be my love

And we will all the pleasures prove .

With thy beauty's April and my youthful zest,

Trust would accomplish the rest.


I would sit and stare for hours on end

at thy beauty's perennial abound

And then, like summer tempest, pen thee down,

with words chosen from English's crown.


Would this so naive an attempt be

of pen and paper to immortalize thee ;

Yet a part of thy youth, for ages, would breathe

even if thy flesh decays beneath.


Amorous, though chaste, thy beauty be

but a reincarnation of my darling poesy.

If such poetic delights thy mind may move,

Then live with me and be my love.


Yet While singing of the ephemeral all,

thou would'st help me recall

that the greatest of follies to be dread

is to confuse the maker with the made.


And yet in the Life's darkest hour,

the inner light would be our guiding star.

If such a higher purpose may thee move,

Come, Live with me and be my love. 

                                                    -----Sauru


No comments: